Thursday, July 26, 2012

Let the Games Begin

Last night was one of the unexpected bonuses of being an Olympic Gamesmaker - an invitation (along with 70,000 others) to the final rehearsal of the opening ceremony in the Olympic stadium.



Like most aspects of the Olympics, the opening ceremony has been the subject of much speculation. The naysayers have said it will either be an extravagant waste of money or, in complete contradiction, that it will look cheap because we won't spend enough.

I'm not going to give away any secrets about the content of the opening ceremony. The organisers
asked that we resist the temptation to Tweet and Facebook about it. That is a lot to ask of I guess about 150,000+ people who have attended the two rehearsals but it appears that request has been mostly well-respected.  

What I can say is it's big, it's spectacular, it's quirky, it's surreal, it's a little bit mad and has a fine dose of British eccentricity thrown in as well. Danny Boyle - I salute you.  

On the night before, the country is like a nervous bride, anxious that something will go wrong on the big day and the subsequent 16 days of competion.  Certain aspects of the media appear to be salivating at the prospect of failure. I think it's about time they stopped and just got with the program. I think the Olympics are going to be spectacular.

4 comments:

Terra Shield said...

"What I can say is it's big, it's spectacular, it's quirky, it's surreal, it's a little bit mad and has a fine dose of British eccentricity thrown in as well."

Ok, now I know I need to catch the opening ceremony.

Ninja said...

Jealous jealous jealous!!!! LOL!!!

I missed the ceremony but caught the James Bond bit on Youtube. That Daniel Craig is one fine piece of arse!

What days are your events babes??? So excited for you....hope i get to see you!!!!

King of Scurf said...

Terra: It seems to have been generally well received by the rest of the world - unmistakably British which I think it was we were aiming for. Hope you managed to see it (or some of it).

Saby: Everybody loved the James Bond sketch - which other country has a Queen that parachutes from a helicopter? ;)

I'm working between the 8th and 11th August. I will be modelling my uniform in a blogpost later this week.

Ninja said...

Hurrah!!!!! Can't wait :))))

p/s : I thought the Corgi's were adorable but absolutely annoying!!!! :p