Monday, February 21, 2011

Forbrydelsen, aka The Killing

If you want to lose a weekend - in the way I have just done - then can I suggest there is no better way to lose it than by watching the first 10 episodes of Forbrydelsen (UK title - The Killing) which is running on the slighlty off-radar BBC4 arts channel here. I had to watch ten episodes in a row (thank god for catch up TV) to get up to present events and I have the next 10 episodes to look forward to - a double episode every Saturday night.

A colleague alerted me to this Danish serial which follows, one day per episode, the 20 days following a murder inquiry into the death of a teenage girl. I guess it borrows from 24 (which I've never watched) but it's the most dramatic piece of television I've seen in ages. It's dark, brooding and absolutely gripping.

Every one of the characters is brilliantly formed and developed as the series progresses. I really can't choose a standout performance but, if pressed, it would be Theis, the tortured father of the murder victim and played by Bjarne Henriksen. The central character, Sarah Lund, played by Sofie Gråbøl is also pretty good.

If, by some remarkable fluke, you have seen this series then please do not comment on how it might end as I'm determined not to Google this and find out what happens although the anticipation is almost unbearable.

And no, the subtitles do not detract from the drama although I suppose you might get more from it as a native Danish speaker although it'd be hard to see how as it's pretty much perfect already.

16 comments:

nursemyra said...

I believe it was broadcast on SBS Australia last year but I didn't watch it. Apparently it's got Mads' brother Lars Mikkelson in it, will have to try and track it down.

nursemyra said...

Good news! My son picked season 1 up for me on the way home from work last night...

King of Scurf said...

That's fast work! I didn't know it has seasons - I assumed it was just one series of 20 episodes. We're getting two episodes a week for ten weeks and I'm now half way through.

There's a USA remake so I hope your son hasn't picked that up instead....I'm sure it won't be as dark and moody as the original Danish series.

Happy viewing.

nursemyra said...

No it's definitely the Swedish version. I'm home sick today so have watched four episodes already. Lars Mikkelson is almost as hot as his brother.....

King of Scurf said...

I like Rie.

Once you get past episode/day ten I might have to bar you from commenting in case you accidentally reveal something I haven't seen yet.

Hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.

nursemyra said...

ooops... I meant Danish. Don't know why I wrote Swedish :-(

Anonymous said...

Nick, I've just finished watching episode 14. Where are you up to?

King of Scurf said...

I'm up to episode 14 as well...Sarah's in a tight spot. Looks like Troels might be in the clear. I think Rie (and her father) still have story to tell. Vagn is far too shirky to be a suspect. Who thought local politics could be so interesting.

nursemyra said...

Ah yes, I think there's more to Rie than meets the eye too

King of Scurf said...

nursemyra: Just had my weekly fix of the next two episodes (15 & 16). It is soooooooo good.

nursemyra said...

I just finished watching episode 20, what an exciting, emotional end. I was right about one person and wrong about another. Have you seen it all yet?

Actually, now I feel pretty deflated because I wanted to keep on watching more and more. It was such an excellent series.

King of Scurf said...

I am being rationed to two episodes a week on the BBC. Episodes 17 and 18 are tonight and the denouement will be next weekend.

So, please please please, no hints about the outcome or I may have to go into hiding a la Osama BL.

nursemyra said...

No hints. But I've started watching it again with queenwilly and her husband. It's just as good if not better second time around.

King of Scurf said...

Only two more episodes to go. Finale next weekend. As the great Inspector Clouseau said "I believe everything and I believe nothing. I suspect everyone and I suspect no one."

I think I may have shed a tear when Meyer was shot - I'd grown quite fond of him.

How can you watch it with friends who I hope are also marvelling at its brilliance and not bug them by constantly telling them that it gets better and better?

nursemyra said...

Well I wasn't going to mention the Meyer thing in case anyone googling The Killing stumbled across this thread before watching the entire series.

But yes, I cried too. It was as bad as when a main character died in Serenity.

And in answer to a comment you left on my blog, yes, have seen both Mesrine films. Excellent!!!!!

King of Scurf said...

Loose ends...