Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Making Your Point

A significant part of my day is spent online advising customers how to fix problems on their systems. I always try to be as courteous and as tactful as possible as I am often correcting their misunderstandings or mistakes. I would not wish to be blunt, that would be impolite - and certainly not to a customer who's paying a fat fee for my services.

Many of the people I deal with are not native English speakers so I try to keep my sentences as short, clear and unambiguous as possible. I avoid things like complex grammar constructs, unusual vocabulary or slang. Having said that I do employ phrases such as "I would suggest..." which, to me, means "Do  it" and "I have a few comments...." which means "You've pretty much missed the point..."  Similarly, I would never say to someone "You're wrong". Instead I will employ a phrase such as "You may need to reconsider your strategy". I've always thought I was being tactful and they would understand the message I was really seeking to convey.

I've often been somewhat surprised (that means "totally dumbfounded" by the way) by their reaction to my well intended suggestions.  Depressingly, I suspect it's me that's been wrong all along. 

The following link is terribly accurate regarding what British people say and what they actually mean. I really need to learn how to be politely blunt.


What the British say and what they mean. Marvelous  on Twitpic

7 comments:

nursemyra said...

Haha, very funny. And accurate.

Gia said...

Hahah tricky! Brits are like women. "That's fine..."

Nota Bene said...

I think what you actually meant to post was....

Terra Shield said...

Interestingly when I tell someone " I would suggest..." , i mean it just like a Brit would. Ha ha.

Terra Shield said...

Interestingly when I tell someone " I would suggest..." , i mean it just like a Brit would. Ha ha.

King of Scurf said...

nursemyra: I'm working on a list of my own.

Gia: "That's fine..." only two words and about a million different ways to interpret them.

NB: Discreet silence?

Terra: The direct route is so dreadfully blunt don't you find?

Blogger said...

If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you must watch this video
right away...

(VIDEO) Why your ex will NEVER come back...