Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Great Book Related Meme

What a great idea for a meme. It goes as follows.....

  • Take the book you are currently reading
  • Turn to page 123
  • Skip five sentences
  • Post the next three sentences in your blog
So, here goes with my three sentences...

I believe it has never been used since Johnson's death in 1784.

There is an interesting picture, attributed to Reynolds, of Jonhson's (sic) black servant, Frank Barber. He was a Jamaican slave who received his freedom in 1752, became Johnson's man-servant, and apart for (sic again) a short period, served him faithfully until his master died thirty-two years later.


Who was responsible for proof-reading this manuscript? I hadn't noticed any mistakes reading the book until now and then I find two in three sentences. Anyway, it's an interesting book - In Search of London by H.V. (Henry Vollam to his pals) Morton. A Pevsner style book on London written fifty years ago, very evocative and, if you've spent any time in London, addictive to imagine how places you thought you knew might have actually looked half a century ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is a great meme idea. I'm off to do mine now :-)

That book you're reading sounds interesting - I'll have to add it to my 'to check out' list.